Thursday, December 31, 2009

In with the new....

"I do think New Year's resolutions can't technically be expected to begin on New Year's Day, don't you? Since, because it's an extension of New Year's Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second."
Bridget Jones' Diary

I typically do not believe in making resolutions on the sole account that I can never keep them.  To me, it seems a bit soul crushing to be all hopped up on the "newness" of the year, to make these promises to yourself, and inevitably break them... don't you? 

On the flip side, I'm in a rut.  I'm finding that I'm in this endless cycle of not really being 100% happy in the end due to the previous choices and habits that have led me to this place.  That being said, I think it is time to resolve to make some resolutions.  (Disclaimer: the previous statement does not allude to anything cryptic or indicate regret with where I am, so please don't start the rumor mill... I'm simply stating that I'm at a standstill and now it's time to make things happen!)

Here are the things that I'm hoping to do in 2010:

  1. In 2010, I will be more in charge of my happiness and will seek out situations, people, and places that make me happy.  Basically, I will remove as much negativity from my environment as possible.
  2. In 2010, I will not be afraid of change.
  3. In 2010, I will get in shape.  Seriously.  And to do this, I will work out no less than 3 days a week, and one of those days will be with a personal trainer (at least through the end of February).
  4. In 2010, I will keep the house in better shape.  Chores will be completed daily, rather than weekly.
  5. In 2010, I will pay off all of my credit cards.  And I already have a plan in action to do this! :)
  6. In 2010, I will demonstrate more patience with my family and friends.
There are probably other things I want to do, but these are the big things that have been looming in my mind the past few weeks.  I think they are all do-able.  Some of the prospective outcomes of these resolutions are already frightening to me, but I have to remind myself of resolution #2 up there, right?  I'm hoping that in one year from today, I can look back at this post and check off all 6 of the resolutions.  Or at least say that I worked on accomplishing them up until that point.... and that they didn't die off with the final bubbles in my champagne glass tonight!

Happy New Year everyone.... I know it keeps being said, but 2010 is going to be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment