Thursday, July 8, 2010

Run, baby, run!

I have never been much of a runner, but I have often wished that I was.  Runners always seem so at peace when they are running.  Plus, most runners have a pretty nice physique. Unfortunately, the whole running thing has been lost on me.  I am often in pain when I run (I apparently don't breathe well when I run.... I think I hold my breath or something), and my mental monologue typically makes me cash out way before I'm ready.  Additionally, my mind never calms down enough for me to find that "peace" that so many runners claim to get.

I need to run, however.  I'm not pushing myself much in the cardio department at the gym, and I need a change.  Unfortunately, I'm too embarassed of my lack of drive to join a running group, and I refuse to pay $50+ for someone to stand next to me at the treadmill encouraging me to run.

Great news!  I stumbled upon a running podcast that was totally free!  I've never paid much attention to podcasts, but I found this one and I really like it!  It is a 9 week podcast called "Couch to 5K".  Now, don't let the name fool you... I have no intentions of actually running a 5K or any other type of marathon.  I just want to break past the mental block that I have when it comes to running.  This program seems to do just that by slowly easing you into running through interval training.  I started with week 1 today (despite my best efforts, today was my first day of week 1... baaaaah), and I truly enjoyed it. 

The gist of the podcast is this.... a man (named Robert Ullrey) coaches you along... tells you when to run, when to walk, and encourages you along the way.  There is some really cool house/techno music in the background that I actually enjoyed (surprise!).  Week 1's workout is about 30 minutes long, and I was honestly shocked that it went by as quickly as it did.  I plan on doing all 9 weeks and seeing what happens to my running mentality (and perhaps weight loss goal??).  I'll post updates each week.

If you want to try it out, or even try it along with me, you can go here to download the podcasts to you iPod or MP3 player (or whatever else plays podcasts). 

No comments:

Post a Comment